I realize some of you love to test your kiddos. Others are totally against it. I fall into both categories. So, for those of us on both sides of the fence, here are some Free Online Reading Level Assessments for Homeschoolers. There are a few links that include tests you must buy. I wanted to include those just in case the free ones aren’t what you are looking for.
Why Do I Test?
- Testing was enjoyable for me as a student. I always loved to challenge myself and see how well I was doing. Therefore, I enjoy testing.
- Tests are a part of life sometimes and I like to expose my kids to them now and then
- It’s a good motivator for me when I’m feeling lazy in my routine.
- My boys enjoy the break in monotony
- It helps me see my kids a little differently than I do on any normal day. It sometimes opens new doors in what I need to teach them. However, usually it does not.
Sonlight is the curriculum I use. I used this reading assessment when I’m ordering language arts for my emergent readers only. Once I start a Sonlight LA program with my kids, then I just go with it.
Standford Achievement Tests (Not free. Sold through Pearson. Often times local Homeschool Co-ops will offer these tests for a fee. )
A GREAT list from HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) all about assesments
The CAT (California Achievements Tests)